Re: [Gnumed-devel] boostrapping

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] boostrapping
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 22:52:43 +0100

On Thu, Jan 12, 2006 at 05:17:57AM +0800, Syan Tan wrote:

> in bootstrap-local-first.conf I have to put
> the path to plpgsql.so in the language library dirs$
> to make it work,
Why ? I need hard facts to believe that. Why would it not
work to put it into *monolithic* ?

> but apparently this is supposed to be empty,
> and admins have to change it first , if they know
> the bootstrapper isn't going to find plpgsql.so ;
local_first is intended to give local admins a chance to
have arbitrary things being done to the newly created
database before the standard GNUmed bootstrapper starts
doing it's stuff. This is standard practice in config files,
for example.

Now, if a local admin has to put things into
local_first/last, fine, that's what they are for. However,
those changes are NOT to be channeled back into CVS exactly
BECAUSE of the local nature of the changes. If the changes
would be put into CVS they would raise conflicts with local
changes at OTHER sites. That'd be missing the point
completely.

> and they may only know this by trying to boostrap ,
> having the boostrap fail
The bootstrapping shouldn't fail. If it does it's our fault
and there's a bug (which may be hard to tackle, though). The
local_first/last files are not supposed to make any
difference to the bootstrapping proper.