Re: [Gnumed-devel] (no subject)

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] (no subject)
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2006 17:30:27 +0100

On Tue, Jan 17, 2006 at 03:20:33PM +0800, Syan Tan wrote:

>> then a small admin login modal dialog,( which has host,port ,
>> database, user, password, with has defaults for the first 3)
> why re-write this? why not use the existing one?
Well, I think Syan is right on this. The admin credentials
are *only* and only *potentially* needed for the one query
that creates a new user. It's a bit like doing "sudo adduser ...".

We'll have to add a

 gmPG.get_conn_with_credentials(credentials)

into which the calling code needs to pass (admin)
credentials (and hence get it from the user) but
that's fine IMO.

> I'm also using gnome desktop, which seems to do things
> this way ( e.g. request admin access when needed, e.g. when committing
> synaptic
> or aptitude package selections, when reactivating a lan connection in the
> Network Connection
> manager).
Same with KDE Kontrol Center - that's standard practice, I suppose.

> Alternatively , only allow the admin to use the create staff gui, who also has
> the connection privilege to make pg_users.
That'd be more cumbersome to code, I suppose.

> However, entering session_plans for staff
> seems to be an office duty, as people might want to make an adhoc change for
> next
> week etc..
Sure, but that doesn't have anything to do with *creating* staff.

> It seemed a little awkward to login twice , in order to say, create the
> session_plans for newly arrived staff , who also need to be entered.
Separation of Concerns. Best practice, I suppose.

I have locally started a "create user" UI plugin already
with wxGlade. Will check in.