[Gnumed-devel] staff/user management GUI

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] staff/user management GUI
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 17:38:44 +0100

Syan,

thanks for both putting effort into this and for following
the "mapped out" "official" wxg generation path.

A few comments:

1) conceptual

For now what you wrote will do. Eventually we should enhance
the "create patient" wizard to allow creating staff members.
There would be an option to invoke it in such a way that the
staff related wizard pages are displayed or not. Also pages
would be pre-settable with the data of an existing patient
if that patient/person were to become a staff member. A
split of functionality seems in order:

- editing an *existing* staff member would be done from a
plugin which only "admin users" would want to include in
their load list

- creating a *new* staff member (possibly new person, too)
would be done by an on-demand wizard (see above) invoked
from either of a menu option and a button on the staff
*editing* plugin

This separation of concerns should surely reduce the number
of cases to think of in each code path and thusly reduce the
number of branches in the code. Boring code is good.

2) practical

The admin_login stuff should be much simplified:

The admin will always want to log into the same database,
server, and port the original user is in. We will have to
enhance gmPG.py to provide that information on request. But
we should do those enhancements anyways since we have a
"system information" screen on our roadmap.

Thus the admin-login should reduce to account (preset to
"gm-dbo") and password.

I am more than willing to work with you on that.

The pg_user group association should be made simpler for
now: disable all groups but gm-doctors and make that one
mandatory for now.

I will have to explore what you checked in to make further
sensible comments on how, perhaps, the workflow could be
made more "generic".