contacts, was: Re: [Gnumed-devel] DrugBrowser nicer piccie

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: contacts, was: Re: [Gnumed-devel] DrugBrowser nicer piccie
Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2006 08:56:38 +0100

On Mon, Jan 30, 2006 at 11:20:28AM +1100, Richard wrote:

> I've switched at the moment to working on a contacts database I"ve done all
> my
> fields for both contacts (general - including organisations) and patients
> demographics, including (Sigh!!!!, after much agonising, full normalisation
> of communication data - phones/fax/carrier pigeons, etc, so that one can have
> multiple home phones/mobiles/email addresses etc, without limiting the
> display.

I wonder what all the agony was for considering we already
have a demographics schema featuring

- people with
- any number of past and present names per person all
  searchable concurrently
- first, middle, last and additional name in each
- countries -> regions -> places -> streets -> addresses
  fully hierarchially normalized with a couple of views for
  convenience
- any number of IDs per person
- any number of communications channels per person
- any number of jobs per person
- none of this restricting the display of any of it in any way
- any of the "anys" independant of each other

Two things to consider:

1) Yes, there may be room for improvement.
2) We don't currently support organizations too well.

IOW: I would love to know where our current schema does not
deliver (regarding people). Show me a use case that cannot
be supported under it and you'll have the best argument in
the world to want changes to the demographics schema in
GNUmed.

> I/ve imported my 6500 patients into postgresql and can pull names
The above schema was tested with 120000 (One Hundred Twenty
Thousand) patients and verified to deliver named patient
searches in around 100-150 milliseconds.

There is certainly no question that AU is entitled to have
its very own demographics *widget* (possibly even
middleware) optimized for local needs. The need for a
different schema (apart from, perhaps rather large,
additions regarding *contacts at organizations*) would need
to be established unless a rewrite is what is *wanted*. And a
rewrite better be capable of handling needs other than AU if
it wants to claim to be GNUmed.