[Gnumed-devel] GNUmed - some thoughts

From: Sebastian Hilbert
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] GNUmed - some thoughts
Date: Sat, 4 Feb 2006 18:41:36 +0100

GNUmed is quite interesting. Over time I have been contacted by many different
groups, individuals and organizations. All of them see GNUmed fit for some of
their intentions. Once GNUmed would be ready that is.

In other words some of them want to achieve goals *now* others have needed
many years to achieve without  realizing that there is an inverse correlation
between effort and time.

In my view GNUmed is a project which is to create an application that will
help doctors to better care. I don't believe it is possible to use the GNUmed
project to immediately free yourself from the chains (software vendors) we
have accepted for too long.

In the face of changing medical systems and economical pressure let's not
hinder GNUmed development by letting our decisions being led by short terms
goals alone.

GNUmed is like medicine. There is no right or wrong way. There is no right or
wrong development model.

The current model does not offer the benefit of short term goals ( competing
with established medical software). Maybe that is where some of our arguments
originate from. Different short term goals.

Taking into account that most of our interaction is based on assuming each
other's intentions I have a strong feeling that GNUmed will still be around
in 5 or 10 years , no matter how many vendors have supposedly enslaved the
medical community or how many governments have dictated our dialy work.

On a more personal note. I am currently employed in a high profile hospital
which shows me daily how much their current software sucks. Having virtually
no time left to drive GNUmed development I more and more believe that
GNUmed's development work should be done by people who get paid to do the
work.

It's kind of a way to evaluate commitment. When I see people suffering from
atrial fibrillation I tend to choose treatment strategy by how much people
suffer from atrial fibrillation. In my experience 90% of the medical
community does not suffer too much from being forced to use commercial
software not being developed by doctors. As long as that is the case no money
is there to pay a company to actually do the development work.

So what can you do meanwhile ? Raise public awareness. Educate your collegues
and show them alternatives. Grass root marketing. Our concepts are rather
new. It takes some time for the medical community to get used to new
concepts.

A few words on what I think we achieved until now.

1.) We have show that is possible to find and organize a group of doctors who
constantly focus on creating a software tool that will help them to better
patient care

2.) We have shown that it is possible to abstract that software to fit
different medical systems.

3.) We have shown that current computer technology is available to cater for
different languages and medical systems.

4.) We have shown that there is indeed a need to change currently available
software.

5.) We have been able to demonstrate a reference client that shows off some of
the concepts that have been researched for some time.

6.) We have yet to establish the fact that GNUmed's development can be driven
by non business entities.

7.) We have diluted from various mailing list arguments that concepts and
ideas behind the reference client need to be documented far more extensive
than what we done until now.

8.) I have yet to show that it is possible to base a successful business on
GNUmed's concepts

9.) There is no such thing a 'the GNUmed'. There is a reference client and
there is room for extensions and or forks.

10.) I have missed some points and have said enough.

Hopefully I have been able to explain why I believe there is no single GNUmed
application, no short term competing with existing vendors and no right or
wrong development and there will be no such thing as a 'feature complete
GNUmed software'.

One last paragraph on my view on development models. There is many ways to to
it and two are quite common. First is code now and redo later is neccessary.
Second is think now and code later. I know that both ways are being followed
by people on this list. As long as this is the case let's not fight over what
can be achieved in whatever timeframe.  Simply follow your modus operandi and
see how far you get.

Disclaimer:
The above are some thoughts that explain my view on the GNUmed project. Since
there is no formal GNUmed management team I can only stress that those are my
personal experiences and don't represent any official statement of the GNUmed
project. I encourage anyone on this list to voice their views. That way we
will not be forced to assume each other's intentions.

--
Sebastian Hilbert
Leipzig / Germany