Re: [Gnumed-devel] good news regarding PostgreSQL

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] good news regarding PostgreSQL
Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2006 22:07:02 +0100

On Thu, Feb 02, 2006 at 08:47:43PM -0800, Jim Busser wrote:

> # allow some people to impersonate "gm-dbo"
> local   template1       gm-dbo                           ident gm-dbo-alikes
> local   gnumed_v1       gm-dbo                           ident gm-dbo-alikes

We would want to keep the above lines IF we want to fiddle
with a gnumed_v1 database.

> # extend for any additional development or production versions, for example:
> local   gnumed_v2       gm-dbo                           ident gm-dbo-alikes
>
> shall we be keeping all of the above lines?

The last line (and the comment regarding "additional
development versions etc") is not needed anymore. Future
versions will be addressed by the lines below:

> do these additional lines (below) get inserted after the ones listed above?
>
> local samegroup       +gm-logins              md5
> host  samegroup       +gm-logins              md5

Yes.

> You had written on the wiki under ManagingUsers:
>
> First one needs to add a new DB user for the GNUmed user (see
> gnumed/server/sql/gmPublicAccounts.sql). Care needs to be taken to
> add the DB user to the proper DB groups (gm-doctors is the only one
> making sense currently).
The new users must now be added to the following groups:

gm-logins
gnumed_v2 (if the database is named "gnumed_v2"
gm-doctors (the only one making sense currently)

All of this is handled by the new SQL function

 gm_create_user(name, password)

So, executing

 select gm_create_user('jbusser', 'somethingsecret')

Will create a properly set up database user jbusser which
can immediately connect to gnumed_v2 on PostgreSQL.

However, to be able to use this db user with the GNUmed
client, this still holds true:

> Next, a person must be created in the GNUmed demographic database.
> That person then needs to be associated with the DB user created
> above by means of the staff table. A good example for doing so can be
> found in gnumed/server/sql/test-data/test_data-Leonard_McCoy.sql.

In the staff management UI/widget we are trying to bind
together all of this under one interface.

> Should ManagingUsers be updated to reflect any of what you added
> above?
Yes.