Re: [Gnumed-devel] GNUmed - some thoughts

From: J Busser
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] GNUmed - some thoughts
Date: Sun, 5 Feb 2006 11:09:42 -0800

Also, if penetration of open source software into health care is important, and this project is better positioned strategically, whether by pursuing similar goals separately we are really just repeating the Unix wars.

It isn't clear to me that either project needs to be "chosen" over the other, although to spread the available energy across both would slow net progress.

However, given OpenTAPAS is open source, should we be attentive to whether it can be helped, for example suggesting & helping (if they want/need) with pgautodoc & other tools & approaches?

And if we identify that OpenTAPAS becomes usable to meet doctors' (even just some doctors' needs) earlier or more suitably than GNUmed, should we look to help that to happen?

I can't help but think about analogies to battles and wars. So far the only battles we have had, have been internal within the list or offlist within this group.

But the larger purpose is to instill open source software into clinical practice. If it be critical to achieve some penetration before the legitimacy of FLOSS can be further argued on its merits, we should assist that penetration to happen. Even if it isn't GNUmed.