Re: [Gnumed-devel] clinicians, again: regime or schedule ?

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] clinicians, again: regime or schedule ?
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2006 08:51:54 +0100 (MET)

> Von: Richard Terry <address@hidden>
>
> NSW Health supplies us with a chart labelled NSW Immunization Schedule.
I see. We have that too, but it lists vaccination recommendations per
indication and simply says that we *can* combine shots if desirable.

> One problem is that what we call schedule (ie pre-defined vaccine
> combination at set months), is different from a recommended schedule
> for say Hepatitis B, as the latter can vary heaps, and according to
> when the patient turns up, or according to say, how soon they are
> leaving for a trip etc.
Now we are getting somewhere to eventually solve this quagmire. This sounds
like we both agree on the fact that there are

a) purely medically defined schedules which depend on vaccine suitability
for a given age, minimum interval between vaccinations to ensure proper
buildup of immunity and such

b) medico-socially recommended schedules as defined by some vaccination
authority/council etc which in turn will depend on suitable vaccine
combinations, subsidies, locale-related incidence, patient ethnicity/age and
such

What I have modelled in GNUmed so far is a). A frontend *could* support a)
only and still usefully allow vaccination data capture. However, it would
not *maximally* support the clinician which is what Richard, of course, and
rightfully so, desires. Such would need to be stored in b).

So, let's add a means to the GNUmed schema to aggregate a)-definitions into
b)-schedules for convenience.

Therefor, back again to the vocabulary issue:

Would vaccination *regime* be a proper term for a) in analogy to drug regime
? Or would vaccination "course" better convey the more medico-technical
meaning of a) over b) ? Of course, it'll all be explained in the
table/column comments but anyhow the name should if possible be a good one.

Respectively, I would use vaccination *schedule* for b). Or should it rather
be vaccination recommendation ?

Or even
  vaccination_schedule_medical
and