Re: [Gnumed-devel] An (adequately) open-licenced knowledge resource for

From: Tim Churches
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] An (adequately) open-licenced knowledge resource for medicine whcih may be synergistic with FLOSS software for GP
Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2006 13:19:16 +1100

Adrian Midgley (in the office) <address@hidden> wrote:

> May I draw your attention to http://ganfyd.org
>
> This is a derivative of Wikipedia and the Creative Commons project
> although it differs from each.
>
> I designed the licence.
>
> For countries other than the commonwealth ones listed, I envisage a
> similar project starting up in due course, but have no immediate plans
> to make that happen.  I believe that assistance could be arranged with
> starting material but that is for the future.

Adrian,

I fail to understand the point of your Ganfyd license, which only allows
registered medical practitioners to modify content - presumably the limitation
is an attempt to enforce some assumed or putative level of quality assurance on
chnages to content - a rather big leap of faith IMHO - but which also includes
Section 5 which is a general disclaimer and waiver saying that the authors or
contributors take no responsibility for the contents. I suppose one could argue
that registered medical practitioners have more to lose in terms of reputation
is they contribute inaccurate or misleading information. I sthat the rationale?

Personally I don't like the licensing/contribution arrangements at all, because
I work in the field of public health with a mixture of medically-qualified and
non-medically-qualified colleagues. Disenfranchising the latter makes no sense
to me, as they make as valuable a contribution (and very often more valuable)
to public health as the medical people.

Tim C