[Gnumed-devel] Re: External clinical resources (was: no subject)

From: Syan Tan
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] Re: External clinical resources (was: no subject)
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 20:25:47 +0800

sorry, I was bookmarking for myself, because I haven't done infectious disease systematically for a long while.

I've heard of someone dying of splenic rupture post glandular fever in the geelong area ( west of melbourne) , and someone getting

tetanus there as well ( I also remember a GP sending someone in with uncertain tet immunization history for tet immunoglobulin after a wound,

 and the GP getting irate when I asked if it was necessary over the phone - the GP had been a peer in my second year ) . And I saw someone who had a fever, was swearing with a bad headache, and later grew

meningicoccal on blood culture after 4 days, and she was treated for meningitis ( soon after presentation).

Not sure if you can get false positive blood cultures . All happens in geelong, maybe.

On Mon Mar 13 16:53 , James Busser sent:

On Mar 12, 2006, at 1:13 AM, Syan Tan wrote:
> http://www.kcom.edu/faculty/chamberlain/website/lectures/syllabi3.htm

I gather Syan offered this as a clinical link people might find of
interest.

I agree this site provides helpful quick information. I did notice in
the lecture on infectious mononucleosis that splenic rupture was
described as "rare". Even so, many of us believe it wise to advise
avoidance of splenic trauma for at least 3-4 weeks, and when I
offered this suggestion to the author, it was quickly and politely
incorporated :-)

This does remind me that in Oscar there is a place to organize
external references & resources, I will keep this in mind after my
next heavy work cycle Mar 15-31 when I can have a bit further look at
gnumed.