Re: [Gnumed-devel] Greetings and wishing come back to GNUMed work

From: Syan Tan
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Greetings and wishing come back to GNUMed work
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2006 07:53:45 +0800

in my old age, I'm also flitting around with package fitting and configuration file tweaking ;)

the debian testing packages for pyPgSQL and postgresql 8.1 seem to work together over

here, if that is of any help .  Why Fedora Core instead of debian ? debian has an

alien package that seems able to convert Ingres rpm packages to deb packages, ( but

I haven't made sure it actually runs completely yet)

maybe fedora has  an anti-alien package ?

Gnumed is apparently using pypgsql package because of it's callback facility ;

e.g. the sql LISTEN/ NOTIFY commands , are available through pypgsql .

Is that the reason your application needs to use pypgsql , or what is the reason ?

On Tue Apr 18 9:05 , Tim Churches sent:

Sebastian Hilbert wrote:
> I am on SUSE 10.1/10.0 , PostgreSQL 8.0.3
> pypgsql works fine. I used an rpm I created some time ago.
>
> Works with GNUmed and postgreSQL 8 on Windows as well.
>
> Still think it sucks that pypgsql is not included in SUSE.
> Showstopper for some people. I shouldn't be too hard to switch
> to another dbdriver in the future.

OK, thanks Carlos and Sebastian - it seems that pyPgSQL can be made to
work with PG v8.0.x - I'll try again. I nearly went made trying to get
it to compile with PG v8.1.x

pyPgSQL is not supported for Fedora Core, either. In fcat, Fedora Core 5
now installs with a base module called "python-postgresql", but I
haven't investigated which Python-PG driver module this actually is. It
is not pyPgSQL, however. Unfortunately some of our NetEpi code has
dependencies on pyPgSQL - in places where the standard Python DB-API-2
was not quite enough. We'll have a serious look at validating and
packaging pyPgSQL (with our patches) on Debian and Fedora as an easier
course than swapping to some other module.

Tim C