Re: [Gnumed-devel] Approaches to maintain clinical data uptime

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Approaches to maintain clinical data uptime
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2006 12:05:33 +0200

On Sun, Apr 30, 2006 at 01:58:05PM +0800, Syan Tan wrote:

> just wondering about ddl changes in gnumed, can they be done as alter
> statements from now on ?
We could. The original plan was the following: have creation
scripts for vY and also have vX -> vY update scripts.

But we could define 0.2 as baseline and work with
transactioned update-ddl scripts only from then on if that's
what people want. It does seem to be best practice from what
I read.

I have written a partial update-v2-v3.sql script and let me
tell you it *can* get quite complex. Simple alter statements
won't suffice since we do have to deal with data already in
the tables.