Re: [Gnumed-devel] emr browser speedup

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] emr browser speedup
Date: Sun, 28 May 2006 09:55:56 +0200

On Sun, May 28, 2006 at 04:33:39PM +1000, Ian Haywood wrote:

> > Anyways, what I'm trying to say, the EMR browser data
> > retrieval code should perhaps rather operate on simple dicts
> > which the middleware delivers from the database.
> I agree completely. The middleware needs a serious diet ;-)
Note that I am talking about the EMR *browser* only. I have
been using the middleware enough to appreciate it's current
concept - not that it couldn't be any better using
properties, descriptors and generators but ...

> It's job should be fetching and maintaining caches of dicts in a generic
> way, the actual form of the dicts should be determined by backend views,
Usable in querying but a pain to write to.

> I'd be wary of multiple threads, as these imply multiple DB connections.

> Better IMHO a "query queue" feeding a *single* background worker thread,
> queries
> which are "urgent" (ie. the user is waiting on the result) go to the
> head of the queue, prefetches go to the back.
Well, sure, that's the plan.

> When the results are in, the worker thread then passed data to the GUI thread
> via wxCallAfter ()
Or other means, but yes.