Re: [Gnumed-devel] Comments on 0.2

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Comments on 0.2
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2006 02:59:44 +0200

Hi Richard,

thanks for your comments.

> Not saving basic demographic information properly
I have gone through that part of the code and am improving
it as I speak. It's a bit hard to guess what was so
disastrous but it sure affords improvement which I am
working on.

> Even given I disagree with your designs, there can be no excuse for the
> errors
> in this.
There is no need for excuses.

> I've said this time and time again - you should iron the bugs out of
> your data entry and saving.
Well, you refuse to list those you find.

> This program locks up time and time again and needs the
> Ctl_Alt_Backspace skull and crossbones to put it out of its misery.
Please do report how you can trigger this sort of hang. I
have not experienced one for, what, months ? Which doesn't
mean it doesn't exist.

> Adding clinical data  dosn't 'stick' on many occasions - ie one puts it in
> and
> it dosn't appear back in the database to be displayed.
>
> I can hear Karsten/Sebastian once again saying 'put your money where your
> mouth is, be specific'.

> I know all too well from my programming experience that given the way you are
> putting this together, it is near nigh impossible to give you descriptions of
> what I do to crash the program.
I wonder how the other bug reporters do it then.

> I think your paradigm is wrong wrong wrong. I handed you a medical record
> design on a platter
What you offer is a GP office GUI design. Our *record*
design is better than yours even if you don't understand it.
Read why in the Wiki.

> and I still cannot for the life of me understand why you won't use it.
Because it was too difficult for me to implement then. And
no one else seemed to be interested in implementing it
either.

> Make the gui, make it function (with no data save), then add data entry and
> save per section and you eventually end up with a fully functional program.
Well, here is what I did:

- write a backend schema (no, yours was not sufficient)
- write middleware
- write a GUI
- connect the GUI

Had you taken the burden of writing the GUI off of my
shoulders I should have rejoiced in connecting your GUI to
the backend.

> If you want to stop in your tracks, adopt my functionality paradigm, and
> start
> putting things together bit by bit under my direction, I will re-join the
> effort.
What you are saying here is: If you make me King I will join
your rank-and-file. Ain't that contradictory ?

On another note, since it doesn't matter what the backend is
like why don't you write the GUI until all that's left is
connecting it to the backend and then let me connect it ?
I'd have no moral or technical trouble whatsoever with that.