Re: Fwd: [Gnumed-devel] I need some help

From: Peter Damoc
Subject: Re: Fwd: [Gnumed-devel] I need some help
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2006 14:59:11 +0300

On 7/6/06, Karsten Hilbert <address@hidden> wrote:
On Thu, Jul 06, 2006 at 02:02:43PM +0300, Peter Damoc wrote:

>> When a patient is edited on the laptop that patient is
>> marked as changed.
>
> This is so simple... :) why didn't I think of it before.
> I just keep a log of "changed" patients on both machines and simply replace
> the old patients if there is no conflict
Yep, if you can guarantee non-concurrency this is a nicely
workable approach.

I can enforce a solution that will forbid concurrency. Concurrency is of little importance compared to Consistency.
I might be mistaken but this is one of the problems I perceived at GNUMed... overdesign.

> or use a simple conflict solver for the patients that changed on both machines.
Well, and that's the problem. The conflict solving may not
be a simple issue. But surely worth trying.

This is what I thought at first, the main issue being ID mismatch from various tables (patients, encounters, transactions) but then I remembered that I can solve the conflict at python level, I don't need to go deep in the bowls of SQL to do that, just snapshot the local  database at update, work, upload the modified patients to the server at the next connection, revert to snapshot and do another simple update as if no work was done. The server just updates the stuff as if the data was just entered.

Peter.