Re: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Paper on OpenSDE (structured data entry) just pub

From: Tim Churches
Subject: Re: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Paper on OpenSDE (structured data entry) just published
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2006 13:45:28 +1000

Karsten Hilbert <address@hidden> wrote:

On Tue, Jul 18, 2006 at 06:56:02AM +1000, Tim Churches wrote:

> Haven't read it myself but might be of interest to GNUmed developers -
> see http://www.biomedcentral.com/1472-6947/6/29/abstract

> OpenSDE: the few times I heard about it it sounded
> promising. Am I mistaken in thinking of it as
> "OpenEHR pragmatically" ?

It seems to be very much driven by detailed domain models, but it provides the
means to specify those domain models as you go. So yes, very much like openEHR,
but not directly related it, although openSDE ideas may end up informing teh
design of auto-generated data entry and data capture facilities which use
openEHR archetypes, I suspect. That has always been part of the openEHR vision,
but as yet they have not implemented automatically-generated data entry screens
etc, although I gather some commercial implementers of openEHR have done so, at
least to some degree. I suspect that the openEHR people will find there is more
to smooth data entry than just teh underlying subject domain model... (and a
terminology etc etc).

Speaking of terminologies, one other bit of news which might be of interest:
SNOMED-CT is now (or will be in August) freely available in Australia for any
health use, in Australia. This is similar to the all-of-US license to use
SNOMED-CT. There is also an all-of-UK license for SNOMED-CT, but its terms are
not quite so liberal or generous, I think (not sure). What about other EU
countries?

Tim C