Re: [Gnumed-devel] Gentoo ebuild done

From: David Grant
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Gentoo ebuild done
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2006 15:50:04 -0700

On 7/19/06, Karsten Hilbert <address@hidden> wrote:
David,

that's interesting news !  Didn't know it was still around
and people are taking care of it. Is there any way to know
whether anyone installed it ?

Not that I know of. There used to be a website called
gentoo-statistics.com or something but the guy who was running it shut
it down. It would collect statistics from gentoo users about what
packages they had installed. It was only a sampling of users though.

> Click on the .ebuild file and look at it if you are curious. Notice how
> simple it is compared to debian.

"apt-get install gnumed-client" seems just as simple

Well I was referring to the simplicity of the package itself. Compare
the ebuild file to a debian deb package.

> If gnumed actually used distutils,
I don't see how it can as it is not simply a "Python add-on".

There are many packages that use distutils that are not python
"add-ons." Actually I don't really know what you mean by "python
add-on." And all python packages in gentoo go into
/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages whether they use distutils or not.
Standard procedure is to put all the *.py stuff there and if an
executable in the $PATH is needed a script is put in /usr/bin that
runs python.

> Unfortunately it is for 0.1... If there were no significant changes to the
> build procedure then making the ebuild work for 0.2 is as simple as renaming
> the ebuild file.
0.2 is not released "just yet". Which would be the file you
used to generate the ebuild from ? We certainly continue to
have tarballs.

The build is grabbing the following URL:
http://download.savannah.gnu.org/releases/${PN}/GNUmed-client.${PV}.tgz

where ${PN} is the packagename (determined from the ebuild file name),
and ${PV} is the version. So:
http://download.savannah.gnu.org/releases/gnumed/GNUmed-client.0.1.tgz

--
David Grant