Re: [Gnumed-devel] drugref.org

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] drugref.org
Date: Sun, 8 Oct 2006 10:49:48 +0200

On Sun, Oct 08, 2006 at 10:36:17AM +0200, Hilbert, Sebastian wrote:

> What happened to drugref.org ?
It got started and technically bootstrapped by a visioneer.

It got taken up and put to use by one other visioneer
(OSCAR) - which doesn't follow a particularly transparent
and open process regarding changes and modifications made.
Canadian data was put into the drugref structure. The
license of which is unclear. At least *I* have no idea where
I could download Canadian data for use with drugref under a
license that permits me to do so.

No one else (to my knowledge) expended effort to put
*content* into drugref. As is not unusual with open
*content* projects. The one notable exception being
Wikipedia. The best counter-example being freedb.org
(open-cddb).

GNUmed is still planning to use the drugref structure if and
when it acquires a credible source of raw data. If the
license allows it we will make the data available openly.

The world isn't really lacking visioneers of which only very
few are needed. It is lacking grunt workers who take ideas
into production. People like Syan Tan. And all the others
whom I don't know about/forgot to mention.