Re: [Gnumed-devel] [Fwd: branch stuff]

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] [Fwd: branch stuff]
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2006 17:14:42 +0100

On Mon, Nov 27, 2006 at 01:53:03AM +1100, syan tan wrote:

> which branch is best to put non-head stuff on ?
Well, if you want to go all-out and modify the core code to
your heart's content you might just create your own branch
off any revision you need.

Previously we mainly used to put stuff into test_area in the
HEAD branch being careful about not touching the "main
trunk" in client/ unduly. This method is still available
today. It has the advantage of seeing changes to HEAD as
they happen which a private branch would not, so there.

> noticed that if one does a plain checkout of the cvs ,
> and then tries to add something, it can't be done,
That does not seem correct. A plain non-anon checkout
following the standard procedure described on savannah will
indeed give you a commitable copy of the CVS - if you have
commit rights in general (which you do).

> but perhaps a checkout of one of the branches , then
> some coding can be added.
No. Doesn't make a difference.

> Maybe explains why contributors have dropped , as it now
> appears to be a closed cvs repository, superficially.
I understand the reasoning in the latter half of your
sentiment (despite that it is incorrect) but I strongly
doubt that has anything to do with the number of
contributors. As long as someone does not care about
branches they will always get the latest revision from HEAD
as it has always been from day one.