Re: [Gnumed-devel] what happened to the GNUmed developers ?

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] what happened to the GNUmed developers ?
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2006 13:14:33 +0100

On Tue, Nov 28, 2006 at 11:03:14AM +0800, Syan Tan wrote:

> gnumed schema is pretty ok, and I think it has taken a
> quite useful road of being specific about what data it is modelling
> /storing, and not too open-ended,
It's always a difficult line to walk where to go specific
(dedicated tables) and where to go general (generic EAV).

We will have to (and will) expand both approaches where
needed.

> gnumed lacks the scripting / pseudo-AI prescription decision support
> that are available in the commonly used emr systems here.
I would think that's something that needs to be solved in a
layer somewhere above the database. But the storage needs to
have support for it.

> Because it uses postgres, I think it is quite scalable, and
> I've imported our own legacy data into gnumed , just to prove
> that it has the potential for being usable in the australian context.
Thanks for that. The PG versions that are currently being
release already contain improvements for the UNION/INHERITS
case which slowed down some of our queries.

> As far as I know, it is the only free , open-sourced  , gnu licensed
> gp medical application that can import australian legacy data;
Yay !  :-)

> a problem area might be finding out the source system's schema design
> in order to effect a migration to gnumed for those who are currently
> using a system. The shame is that you only get reassurance that
> gnumed could be up to the task if you see it successful handle
> large amounts of legacy data,
Also, it's only then that you really see the advantage of
structuring data into episodes, encounters, SOAP, and,
optionally, health issues (foundational illnesses/past
history items).