Re: [Gnumed-devel] vocabulary question - doctors, please speak up

From: James Busser
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] vocabulary question - doctors, please speak up
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2006 10:00:34 -0800

On Nov 28, 2006, at 7:23 AM, Karsten Hilbert wrote:

Hi all,

we have so far used the term "health issue" as one of the
(optional) grouping concepts in GNUmed. I feel we should
change the label for the concept to something better suited
to English clinical use.

I was thinking something like "Foundational issues". Would a mathematical analogy be anything like "prime numbers"... are we seeking a level of labelling to which manifestations and complications can get attached?

I am waiting til I get time to play a bit more with a newer version of gnumed. In the meantime if it may affect the answer Karsten is looking for I was again thinking how these "levels" of categorization work. The following is a bit free-form but maybe that is OK :-)

We can have a symptom whose diagnosis is delayed. Diarrhea can later be diagnosed as due to Crohn's. We have previously discussed that the label can change from "diarrhea" to "Crohn's" with the diarrhea information preserved inside the notes. I think we also established that an episode of illness that does not acquire a deeper explanation may not get attached to some foundational issue, but until the Crohn's is diagnosed it would be important to be able to view in one place all of the episodes of diarrhea that were *not* yet given some explanation or attachment to a foundational health issue. Maybe these unattached episodes of diarrhea would collect with all the episodes of sore throat and all the episodes of cough or bronchitis under Unattached/Other... and these could be viewed by date or by name to permit the recognition that a patient has X episodes of bronchitis, Y episodes of ear infection and Z episodes of diarrhea in a 3-year interval, maybe they have an immune deficiency.

When the patient returns with diarrhea, it is not always from Crohn's. It could be gastroenteritis, or lactose intolerance, or Clostridium difficile.

Crohn's sometimes requires surgery. Occasionally patients have lost enough bowel that they get short gut syndrome producing diarrhea. So how would those look in a data structure?

Crohn's
Lactose intolerance
(History of) C difficile colitis (after it has been treated)
(History of) laparotomy with small bowel resection
Short gut syndrome

We tend to think of the (History of) as "Past Medical History" and "Past Surgical History" but may it be better to retain these items at the same level of the data structure as they appear above, and simply suppress the retrieval or display of the items we may not want to see until we ask to review more completely the file?

I know that in some systems there are special fields into which to type "Past Medical" and "Past Surgical" histories but that impedes the re-use of the data does it not?

I am sorry if I "run on" again with cardiac examples but if a patient has heart failure and angina, those are "problems" that may have to be managed at the same time as their underlying causes (coronary artery disease, diseases on one or even multiple heart valves) are surely important to keep track of.

Going back to the Crohn's example, it can help to be able to produce a relationship view of some of the problems for example the following. But maybe this cannot adequately flexibly be done in a software design and people will take the view that it must be reserved for the human brain to do real-time or else would require heavy tailoring to suit the mind of the individual user.

        Crohn's
                (History of) laparotomy with small bowel resection
                        Short gut syndrome
                Monoclonal antibody therapy
                Hematopoietic stem cell transplantation