Re: [Gnumed-devel] GNUmed web interface

From: Tim Churches
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] GNUmed web interface
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2007 07:32:31 +1100

Sebastian Hilbert wrote:
> Hi ,
>
> Thanks to some source code I have been sent by Syan I have been able to test
> what we have always proclaimed. It is possible to use our business objects
> such as gmLog, gmPG2 and so on from a web interface.
>
> Although I cannot comment on how well it works or if it is an ugly hack or
> not
> I can tell it is possible to use a webinterface and a number of rich clients
> at the same time.
>
> Since a web client is yet another client to design and maintain I wonder if
> it
> makes any sense to borrow html from other webbased open source emr
> applications.
>
> Can anyone comment on where webframeworks such as django or turbogears touch
> this subject ?

The thing about the latest Web app development environments is that they
tend to assume that you will do things their way, which includes using
their object-relational SQL mapping layers etc. Not sure how well that
plays with the GNUmed business objects, but I suspect it may be
problematic as they are both doing similar things. However, of Django
and Turbogears, the latter seems to be the more modular.

However, there are many other more lightweight Web app frameworks for
Python, including the ones used in Django and Turbogears eg CherryPy.
Pylons is also good, I hear. In NetEpi, we have used Albatross (see
http://www.object-craft.com.au ), which predates most of these but has
stood the test of time rather well. It helps that our lead NetEpi
developer is also the maintainer for albatross, and its original author
is a colleague. However, it is beginning to creak a bit at the seams,
and a more recent Web framework might be a better choice.  Perhaps the
GNUmed business logic can be grafted into Turbogears?

Tim C