Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: GNUmed + KOrganizer (appointments and scheduling)

From: J Busser
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: GNUmed + KOrganizer (appointments and scheduling)
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2007 08:45:58 -0800

On Mar 8, 2007, at 7:28 AM, Karsten Hilbert wrote:
Ich habe mal niedergeschrieben, was unsere Anforderungen wären:
        http://wiki.gnumed.de/bin/view/Gnumed/MiniProjects#AnchorKOrganizer

Sorry if I missed any description of the plan or idea for this.

Perhaps KOrganizer is a useful way to get appointment-management going for GNUmed, I do not know the program or its technology well enough. But maybe there is value considering or sharing thoughts on the following:

1. does coding to KOrganizer tie Linux users to KDE or can KOrganizer be used under other desktops without the user having to run all of KDE? Would KOrganizer be installed and running on each desktop or only on the server, and would the KOrganizer data set be shared from a single file on the server? Is there a problem if a user somehow creates additional appointments with the data stored somehow on their own desktop?

2. what would it mean for a non-Linux OS? For Mac OS, KOrganizer looks to be ported (Mac OS 10.3 PowerPC chip but not yet 10.4 Intel chip). For Windows I found http://dot.kde.org/1062148358/ but following a link to www.thekompany.com it looks like the Aethera suite for Windows (now) instead uses Kolab.

3. even if KOrg runs under multiple OS, how shall doctors manage 2 electronic calendars (a patient calendar and a personal calendar) especially if it is possible that both types of appointments could appear in the same calendar application. This may not be anything new for doctors who already use some non-GNUmed electronic patient calendaring but there can be more than one approach and maybe it is worth discussing any best solutions?

I am not sure I would want personal appointments to show up in the same calendar being used by the office without sophisticated masking, though maybe KOrganizer already does that. I am used to carrying some schedule information in my Palm (PIM) but am less sure carrying any details of booked patients. I suppose for personal (non-patient) scheduling, a doctor could use Outlook or Apple iCal synced to their PIM and only mark (block) the days and hours that are reserved for patient appointments, leaving out any detail of those appointments, this would instead be managed inside KOrganizer. It is true the doctor could log into GNUmed remotely when they want to check on their *usual* bookings, but a problem arises when the office needs to special-book a patient outside of the doctor's usual block times... but maybe that would anyway require a special contact with the doctor to get their agreement for a special appointment and they would add this into their PDA as "clinic" or "surgery" without the patient details.