Re: [Gnumed-devel] postgresql live cd

From: Tim Churches
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] postgresql live cd
Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2007 05:37:26 +1000

Sebastian Hilbert wrote:
> On Sunday 01 April 2007 16:00, Karsten Hilbert wrote:
>> On Sun, Apr 01, 2007 at 11:48:06AM +0200, Hilbert, Sebastian wrote:
>>> Just found that
>>>
>>> http://blogs.ittoolbox.com/unix/bsd/archives/postgresql-livecd-14866
>>> It's based on xubuntu I read.
>>>
>>> Does someone feel like adding gnumed-client to it and bootstrapping a
>>> database ?
>> It does have Python but does it have psycopg2 ? One would
>> need to find out. I suppose one could get the author of
>> pg_live to include it if not.
> Guess so. Even if it is missing it shouldn't be too hard to get GNUmed
> running. I am just thinking of using it as a base for customization.

There is a shell script in the latest tarball release for NetEpi
Collection (see http://sourceforge.net/projects/netepi ) which takes the
Ubuntu LiveCD distribution and strips out unecessay stuff, installs
PostgreSQL and NetEpi and various screencast demo movies and the manuals
etc, and then creates an ISO for burning. The resulting ISO is about
350MB, wwhich is just half of the original Ubuntu ISO size. However, it
still needs 512MB of RAM to boot properly.

I mention this because you might what to use that script as a starting
point. At some stage we want to try it with Xubuntu as well, which
should result in a considerably smaller ISO and lower booting memory
requirements. And of course update it for the latest release of Ubuntu,
which is in late beta release now. Happy to collaborate with GNUmed to
create a Ubuntu/Xubuntu config script that can be shared and customised
from NetEpi or GNUmed use.

Tim C