[Gnumed-devel] Open Medicine: A New, Independent Canadian Open- Access (

From: James Busser
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] Open Medicine: A New, Independent Canadian Open- Access (OA) Medical Journal
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2007 14:42:42 -0700

People outside of Canada may or may not be aware we had some controversy over
whether or not we had adequate editorial independence in our main medical
journal. That episode was important to the formation of this new journal.
Appended is an announcement of the launch that was circulated among our local
research group. I hope it is successful and that it furthers the importance of
other open and independent projects :-)
---------

Open Medicine: A New, Independent Canadian Open- Access (OA) Medical Journal

Open Medicine is a new scientific medical journal that was launched
internationally on April 17, 2007. The founding editors of Open Medicine have
created a journal that they hope will represent a new way forward in scientific
publishing, one that places the integrity of scientific discourse ahead of
commercial interests.

In 2006, the Canadian Medical Association fired two distinguished editors of
the
Canadian Medical Association Journal (CMAJ), John Hoey and Anne Marie Todkill,
following a controversy that erupted at that journal over editorial
independence. Shortly thereafter, the majority of CMAJ's remaining scientific
editors and its editorial board resigned in protest.

Those individuals who were affiliated with CMAJ, in addition to many other
renowned scientists worldwide, have now founded Open Medicine. This new
Canadian
medical journal is a not-for-profit corporation and is unique in that it is
independent of any medical body or association, commercial publishing interests
and pharmaceutical advertising. This independence speaks to the most basic
principles of academic freedom. They are committed to providing open access to
the entire content of Open Medicine in order to ensure that the work it
publishes is publicly and globally available.

While they believe that such independence is crucial to upholding the integrity
of scientific discourse, it also poses significant financial challenges. The
editors of Open Medicine are working with the Public Knowledge Project at UBC
and the SFU Library to take advantage of Open Journal Systems (OJS), as this
open source software can reduce the costs of operating an online peer-reviewed
journal. The SFU Library has also agreed to host Open Medicine on one of its
servers.

The journal may be freely accessed at http://www.openmedicine.ca.