Re: [Gnumed-devel] meditux - compromed

From: Sebastian Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] meditux - compromed
Date: Sun, 6 May 2007 08:44:35 +0200

On Thursday 03 May 2007 21:39, Ruthard Baudach wrote:
> Googling around I found the meditux project working on an open source EMR
> as well.
> They seem to work the other way round than Gnumed - th first module they
> made and certified at KBV as Compromed was -Hm wie sagt man
> "Abrechnungsmodul" auf Englisch? Could be the answer to the letter of
> Sebastian Hilbert, 16. Feb 2007, found in the Wiki KBV_Schnittstelle

The medical software community here in Germany is rather small and we know
(of) each other.

I have met the developers of both APW and meditux/compromed.
We have exchanged ideas but nothing has yet evolved from that.

Please allow me to clarify some key points here.

Germany has a quite complex billing architecture mandated by countless laws
and legislation. We don't write invoices but rather assign points to what we
do and at the end of the quarter tell a intermediate organization how many
points we have gathered. They will tell us how much money we get per point.

All parts of this process from entering ICD code, billing codes and what not
seems to be tightly regulated and changes frequently. It's a mess to try to
run after the changes and updates your software from a software provider's
perspective.

This is nothing to be done by an open source project but rather by a service
company. Historically all 20+ software providers in Germany produced their
own implementation of a billing framework and are troubled by supporting them
for years to come.

OpenSource / code sharing is a concept that takes some time to be understood
and accepted. Therefore the idea of a billing module is certainly appealing
but I cannot expect traditional companies to do that for me. They perceive
that as a risk to their business model.

I have been in contact with 20 or so commercial vendors of which 3 have
something like a encapsulated module but none has an API to talk to.

It would take their ressources to create such an API but they are not sure
whether this can pay off.

So in effect I will talk to the compromed team soon as they are closest to the
FOSS idea but have no ressources at the moment. So it would be GNUmed's task
to draft the API and hand it to them. A task which would bind our ressources
and has therefore not yet been attempted.

If anyone wants to act as a coordinator (no technical skills neccessary) say
so.

Or better yet find a few potential realworld customers that are willing to
support this.
--
Sebastian Hilbert
Leipzig / Germany