[Gnumed-devel] Re: meditux - compromed

From: Andreas Tille
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] Re: meditux - compromed
Date: Sun, 6 May 2007 23:35:39 +0200 (CEST)

On Sun, 6 May 2007, Sebastian Hilbert wrote:

This is nothing to be done by an open source project but rather by a service
company.

What about a service company that writes Open Source software?  Just an
idea - your sentence sounded like a contradiction between "Open Source
Project" and "service company".

Historically all 20+ software providers in Germany produced their
own implementation of a billing framework and are troubled by supporting them
for years to come.

I wonder whether all these companies are happyly reinventing the wheel
instead of starting a common effort to just get rid of terribly stupid
work by using a common source base for this specific problem.

OpenSource / code sharing is a concept that takes some time to be understood
and accepted. Therefore the idea of a billing module is certainly appealing
but I cannot expect traditional companies to do that for me. They perceive
that as a risk to their business model.

I succeded once to convince a representative of a company that
produces medical devices.  We should not assume that these people
do not have a common sense.  It's just that we have to try to find
a reasonable language to explain the idea carefully.

I have been in contact with 20 or so commercial vendors of which 3 have
something like a encapsulated module but none has an API to talk to.

Well, you obviousely have the experience and might be I'm just to
naive.

Kind regards

           Andreas.

--