Re: [Gnumed-devel] forms handling / NetEpi

From: Tim Churches
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] forms handling / NetEpi
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2007 05:59:42 +1000

Karsten Hilbert wrote:
> How do we handle form filling from within GNUmed for those
> forms which are not to be edited inside OOo ? For that one
> would want a GUI generator which creates a UI mask from a
> definition of fields.
>
> Tim, how is this (conceptually) done in NetEpi ?

Yes, we use a custom XML schema to store all necessary metadata about
each version of each form. The XML definition is stored in the database
and read whenever the form needs to be instantiated for editing patient
data. However form data is stored in specific tables in the database,
one for each version of each form, which are created via SQL table
creation and modification statements when a new version of a form is
"deployed". Data from the table for the previous versions of the form
are rolled forward into the table for the new version of the form when
it is deployed.

We could have used XForms as the schema to store form definitions, but
it is much too complex for our purposes, while leaving out a few things
we needed.

Tim C