Re: [Gnumed-devel] forms handling / NetEpi

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] forms handling / NetEpi
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2007 23:40:26 +0200

On Thu, Jun 28, 2007 at 06:48:10AM +1000, Tim Churches wrote:

> openEHR archetype definitions are supposed to be stored as blobs, but
> the actual data values can be stored in XML or in a database which uses
> the RIM as its schema.
I wasn't aware of that, thanks.

> In that sense, openEHR is just a more elaborate
> version of the EAV formulation. The problem is that building a complete
> openEHR kernel, and testing it, is not a trivial undertaking, evidenced
> by the fact that none of the teams working on openEHR (for many, many
> years, some for a decade or more) have done it yet (at least not to teh
> stage that they have released such engines for sale or downlaod).
And you seem to be the only one on the relevant mailing
list(s) ever saying so. For some strange reason no one else
seems to take note of this rather interesting lack of a
testable kernel.

> You should also look at openMRS if you are going down the EAV route,
We are not planning to do so at least not of the simple
type. Nevertheless, I have studied the openMRS system a bit.
I am still waiting for my moment of enlightenment on why
GNUmed really should use the concept dictionary approach.
Intellectually I have a lot of sympathy for the paradigma
but I don't yet see the must-use place in GNUmed - although
I have a nagging feeling I just miss it.