Re: [Gnumed-devel] Hakuna Matata Plugin (2nd reply)

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Hakuna Matata Plugin (2nd reply)
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2007 20:49:56 +0200

On Mon, Sep 17, 2007 at 02:02:31AM -0300, TheForkOfJustice wrote:

> I apologize for the long delay in my reply.
No problem. Happy to keep in touch.

> >> 1) The Physician Section - GUI NOT ASSEMBLED AS OF SEPTEMBER 2007

> I plan for the GUI for the Physician Section to be a list of checkboxes
> which will allow a doctor to order a single test or an entire panel
> with a single mouse click.  Each checkbox will send a request for a
> corresponding
> test or panel, so that's why a list of all possible tests.

> >Again, I believe this assumption to be flawed. There is no
> >way to *complete* this. However, it may be that I still
> >don't fully understand the needs you are addressing.
>
> As mentioned earlier, I intend the Physician Section to be a series of
> checkboxes
> that the doctor checks off to request a corresponding test or panel.
>
> Therefore, I need to know the number of tests/panels to make the correct
> number of checkboxes.

No you don't. You could just read the (number of) known
tests from the database and loop over them creating an
appropriate checkbox in every iteration. Things like
checkbox label, tooltip string, target field for the request
etc can be made configurable alongside the test itself right
in the database. Just loop over the data and create
checkboxes and don't worry about how many there are.
(I agree wxPython isn't the easiest tool for this and,
yes, wxGlade doesn't support this sort of thing.)

*Only IF* you want to group certain tests *semantically*
together in special ways you will need a list of known tests
beforehand. And even that could potentially be done by
configuring metadata about tests in the database (such as
"Urinalysis profile" linking certain tests).

Additionally it will make sense to have a section "Other"
displaying tests in a simple list of labelled checkboxes
which aren't grouped together in any specific way.

Even then it still makes sense to have this:

> All also include a Miscellaneous text field so they can request
> a test that isn't available

> or have special requests about the tests to be conducted.
This should be a field next to each test, no ?