[Gnumed-devel] Feedback on Menus in GNUmed-client.0.2.8.0.dmg for Mac OS

From: James Busser
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] Feedback on Menus in GNUmed-client.0.2.8.0.dmg for Mac OS
Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2007 23:25:36 -0800

I am writing from my Intel Mac (MacBook OS 10.4.11) and will also go back and assess some aspects from my PowerPC Mac --- it did, by the way, benefit from 0.2.8.0 meaning the client's main screen became correctly in view and made available the patient search field.

On the Intel Mac, I tested all the menubar items in reverse order (from Help leftward to GNUmed). I did not test all of the "Patient" menu options but think I was able to try all the others and my report is below. I do wonder if some of the problems might be related to tricky but hopefully still solvable challenge of the Mac binary that Sebastian has so far been creating. When I get a chance I will install the Mac dependencies on my Intel Mac and run from a downloaded tarball and command line.

==============================

Help > GNUmed contributors ... invokes the GNUmed contributor window which can be moved and resized and closed however the normal cluster of Mac window controls (Red, Amber, Green) shows only Red... is it intentional that this window behaves "modally" to prevent the primary GNUmed client screen from being brought to the front?

Window > Minimize and Zoom ... work for the primary GNUmed window during the time that it is the only one open. The status of minimized window is correctly reflected in the list of windows from which the minimized window can be recalled.

Window > Bring All to Front ... maybe not applicable inside GNUmed... I think this functions only within the desktop level of the Mac (called the "Finder") serving to "lift" together, into the top layer, all of the windows that belong to the Finder desktop manager (Mac OS X permits the windows of different applications to overlap and intermingle).

Knowledge > ifap index (Win) ... does nothing

Knowledge > medical links (WWW) ... invokes my default browser Safari and loads http://wiki.gnumed.de/bin/view/Gnumed/ MedicalContentLinks#AnchorLocaleIen

Tools > DICOM viewer is dimmed (unavailable)

Tools > Snellen chart (as reported yesterday) creates an exception

Tools > lock client ... seems not to do anything

Tools > provider inbox ... seems to behave as expected

Tools > Show Archived documents ... beeps if no patient in context, otherwise displays "available documents (most recent on top)" which, for Kirk, are a photo listed as (1 page(s), no reference ID found) and two "referral report other". Now, when I try to open the "small picture of Kirk" I am told that my system does not seem to have a working viewer registered for the file type [image/gif] and when I try to open "Perfume pagoda river boating" I am given the same complaint regarding [text/plain; charset=us-ascii]. TROUBLESHOOTING: the error message references were to temporary files located in
        /Users/djb//.gnumed/tmp/docs/
for example
        /Users/djb//.gnumed/tmp/docs/gm-doc_obj-page_1-dep8Le.tmp
and in the case of the file reference that contained a .gif I was able to copy it to a visible directory and open it with one of the Mac's viewer applications (Preview) however when I did this with one of the references to an ascii document and after I changed its extension to .txt the content of the file (when viewed by a Mac text reader) said "missing". So I am wondering whether, when running on Mac from a bundled GNUmed application, if archived documents get copied from the remote salaam Postgres database into some invisible local folder and it is in some cases the .tmp suffix that gives a problem but is not the whole explanation?

Tools > Report Generator ... this does bring forward a large "Command (SQL)" area. The "Schema" button brings forward the internet web browser pointed to
        http://wiki.gnumed.de/bin/view/Gnumed/DatabaseSchema

Tools > xDT viewer ... prompts "Choose an xDT file:" with the following Mac-native window:

PNG image

Tools > config registry ... unhandled exception (however I might have kept running after a previous unhandled exception... which I exited then reloaded GNUmed I seemed able to access it OK)

Correspondence > Write letter ... beeps when no patient is in context. With Kirk in context, brings forward a window "Select letter or form template" with one template in the list, if selected I next get a handled (?) exception: "Missing GNUmed module"... "No module named uno".

Correspondence > Manage templates ... permits at least the first level of edit access to the templates (I did not drill deeper)

EMR > Export as > Text document ... permits the desired filename to be inputted and (I would guess) a different directory to be selected. Upon continuing, an unhandled exception is encountered (No such business object...) and the file that did get written had content that was only:
   Demographics
   ------------
    Id: 12

EMR > Export as > Journal ... success :-)

EMR > Export as > Medistar format ... no error encountered, however there was only minimal content in the resulting file:
*MDA*
encounter: in surgery 2007-12-29 15:36 - 15:36; RFE: ?; AOE: ?
//
*MDB*
*MDD*
*MDT*

EMR > Show Summary ... works

EMR > Search ... seems to work

EMR > Start new encounter ... made a beep and in the status line said "Started a new encounter for active patient" however what does the user do with (how to they access) this new encounter?

EMR > Medical history > Medication ... unhandled exception (crashes Python)

EMR > Medical history >  Allergies ... unhandled exception

EMR > Medical history > Occupation ... once "called", cannot be dismissed

GNUmed > External Tools > IFAP command ... unhandled exception (crashes Python)

GNUmed > all options other than External Tools >  ... seemed ok

Office > Appointments ... unhandled exception (crashes Python)

-------------------------
Small (other) suggestions:

Knowledge > medical links (WWW) ... invokes my default browser Safari and loads http://wiki.gnumed.de/bin/view/Gnumed/ MedicalContentLinks#AnchorLocaleIen
        ... change (WWW) to lower case (www)

Knowledge > medical links (WWW)
        ... I might suggest change the "(WWW)" to lower case "(www)"

Tools > Report Generator
... how about a Load button to the left of Run that permits to user load-in the text of an SQL from a locally-saved file (or from a default local server directory) in which these may have been locally saved?

In the tree view, when an active health issue is clicked, can the time calculation units be changed from
        Active health issue noted at age 27911 days, 4:13:47
        Active health issue noted at age 76 years, 151 days, 4:13:47 hours
and append a calculation of time elapsed since the issue was noted e.g.
        (noted 5 months, 12 days ago)

Menu item spellings
        ... make the spelling "case" (upper, lower) of the items consistent?
        e.g. lock client, provider inbox --> Lock client, Provider inbox
        e.g. GNUmed > Options >  User Interface ----> User interface?