Re: [Gnumed-devel] Kirk afraid of women ?

From: James Busser
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Kirk afraid of women ?
Date: Thu, 03 Jan 2008 08:41:19 -0800

On 3-Jan-08, at 6:04 AM, Karsten Hilbert wrote:

On Wed, Jan 02, 2008 at 11:31:16PM +0100, Hilbert, Sebastian wrote:

Supposedly he is suffering from: Fear of women looking better than him
and it is clinically relevant.

Is that even possible ?

I don't know the character Denny Crane very well, but I am guessing that for him, the fear may not not possible (even while, given his advancing years, women *can* actually look better than him).

On the other hand Kirk, while as vain Crane, and *mostly* confident, is sometimes allowed to behave in a conflicted and uncertain fashion even only when under alien influence. And, of course, he has on at least one episode had his body taken over by a woman. Therefore, I think this character has the capacity to fear women looking better than him. The irony is that he has nothing to fear because, in the world inhabited by Kirk, even from the view of "straight" men, it is implausible that women could *actually* look better than him. :-)

Even if the fear was normally manageable, and did not normally interfere with Kirk's daily functioning, as captain a lot of responsibility is carried, entitling Bones to keep an eye on it and therefore justifying labeling it clinically relevant.