Re: [Gnumed-devel] <bug>: logging any-doc

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] <bug>: logging any-doc
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2008 18:48:59 +0100

On Sat, Jan 12, 2008 at 08:17:20AM -0800, James Busser wrote:

>> Windows doesn't like two processes accessing the same file
>> too much even for flushing to disk. There's not much we can do about that.
Apparently, I should have said.

> Does this mean Windows sometimes will not like two instances of GNUmed
> client running on the same machine,
It doesn't mean that but your comment made me think of
another related problem - several instances on the same
machine will try to write to the same log file ...

... fixed in 0.2.9 by adding in the process ID when the log
file isn't explicitely specified via --log-file. If the log
file is given the user is responsible anyways.

> or two instances of GNUmed running on
> different machines,
It doesn't mean that.

> or does it mean something else?
It (probably) means that Windows doesn't like processes other
than the opening one to flush a file. Which isn't helpful
knowledge, really.

> Also, while I know "profiles" meant something other than "users", I noticed
> in the test database that Nurse Chapel seemed somehow disabled. Is Leonard
> McCoy (any-doc) supposed to be able to re-activate her... the client does
> not appear to permit that.
Anyone knowing the gm-dbo password should be able to
(de-)activate users. There's a button at the bottom to do
so.

> Is the ability to disable her, even though she
> might have had the equivalent to administrator permissions, intended?
Yes. It should be possible to disable accounts for people
who no longer work in a given practice.

> That
> would make sense because even though the program design might support only
> a single levels of GNUmed administrators,
Technically there are effectively three levels of admins
above the standard GNUmed staff account

- the local system root (root)
- the local postgresql superuser (postgres)
- the GNUmed database admin (gm-dbo)

which have sufficient inherent powers to enable/disable
GNUmed staff.