Re: [Gnumed-devel] <bug>: Mac 10.4.x from command line -> GNUmed EMR > M

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] <bug>: Mac 10.4.x from command line -> GNUmed EMR > Medical history > Allergies unhandled exception
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2008 12:30:49 +0100

On Tue, Jan 15, 2008 at 10:22:15PM -0800, James Busser wrote:

>> Report sent via GNUmed's handler for unexpected exceptions:
>>
>>  Mac 10.4.x from command line -> GNUmed EMR > Medical history > Allergies
>> unhandled exception
>
>      ^ ^ ^
>
> Is the above type of "Comment" helpful to be including in such unhandled
> exceptions?
Very much so. It clearly explains what you attempted (so we
can try to provoke the error on our machine) and what seemed
to happen. The log then says what really did happen.

> Is there any different or more information desired to be
> routinely included?
Not really. Those bug reports are superior to many you might
see either in closed or open source.

Only a hacker who has actually looked at the code could
provide an even better report including the single
additional item which could improve the report - a correct
patch ;-)

>From non-coders we couldn't wish for better reports.

Tell you what, a good doctor provides good bug reports
almost by design (if at all technically adept) because
diagnosing bugs is very much akin to diagnosing afflictions:

 Careful and considerate observation of symptoms and signs,
 then acting upon them with application of system knowledge.

It's like you collecting Subjective and Objective while I
provide Assessment and Plan. Reversal of roles from
Associate Professor to not-just-yet licensed GP, eh ?  ;-)