Re: [Gnumed-devel] Configurable boiler-plate/literal label text?

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Configurable boiler-plate/literal label text?
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2008 20:27:07 +0100

On Wed, Jan 16, 2008 at 09:27:06AM -0800, James Busser wrote:

> While I am satisfied with "free-standing episodes" in the EMR tree, it is a
> bit long and I could understand a desire for alternatives like
> "unattributed" or "miscellaneous". Rather than having to agree on a single
> "label" agreed by a majority who share a language.

I find it a bit long, too. I'm open to suggestions for a
better name. The name should make it obvious to GNUmed
first-timers that under this header they will find episodes
which are not attached to a health issue but rather stand on
their own.

The term is easily and lossless-ly replace in the code and
is, in any case, subject to gettext translation. Thus anyone
really whishing to use a different name for it can edit
their translation file.

> A more important example is the label "in surgery" which is familiar to
> those in Australia and the UK but will confuse users of GNUmed in Canada or
> the United States where, in private solo or co-located practices, doctors
> would refer to their workplace as "office" and in a group practice the
> doctors may think of (and refer) to their workplace or clinic... or they
> may may think of (refer to) it as their "practice".
I see your point. Again, for one thing, one might edit their
translation file and/or provide a translation to the
database to change the string itself.

The whole encounter type thing is database defined so it can
be changed to whatever users need anyway. I added a
configuration option for the default encounter type.

What we still lack is frontend support for managing those
types.

> Would it be doable with little pain, to support this in Tools >
> ConfigRegistry  (which, in 0.2.8.2, seems the same as the plug-in Setup)
Again, we are deprecating this plugin/tool in favour of more
end-user oriented config handling.