Re: [Gnumed-devel] EMR Journal plug-in improvement suggestion

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] EMR Journal plug-in improvement suggestion
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2008 18:44:43 +0100

On Wed, Jan 16, 2008 at 06:32:49PM -0800, James Busser wrote:

> Can the plug-in parse more smartly so that after it has read the sOap value
> of the first among the rows for any given encounter, the plug-in suppresses
> (omits) repeating that value for the rest of the rows of that type, next
> writing the value if and when it changes within the encounter,
Done.

Note however, that it is important to be sure about what the
journal really shows. It displays what narrative is
*currently* in the EMR and when that narrative was *entered*
in its present form. It does NOT display under which
encounter the narrative was entered. In many cases,
particularly for soap rows both timestamps will overlap but
in some cases it will not. If an entry, say, an allergy is
changed due to new data being provided by the patient the
allergy will be formatted into the journal under the date it
was changed - not the date it was initially entered into the
system !

The narrative - as retrieved from the backend - is sorted by
(date, episode, soap category) which may present seemingly
suprising display as well. So while normal sorting is
s-o-a-p, within a date Soap may still follow soAp if they
refer to different episodes. This assures that soap rows
pertaining to one and the same episode which were entered
together are also displayed together.

The root cause of this apparent complication is the
impossibility to reconcile both chronological *and* medical
grouping within one flat display style.

I adjusted the "Date" column header to "Entered" to perhaps
somewhat more clearly show what's listed under it.

> as per example (apologies if is not displayed in monospace):
It surely is monospace but your mailer hard-wraps lines to
what it thinks my terminal can handle...