[Gnumed-devel] Patient screen concerns (labeling and search)

From: James Busser
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] Patient screen concerns (labeling and search)
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2008 09:49:52 -0800

The patient search was really bothering me and I think I now know better why.... it is because it is possible, in the search input, to type a name other than the current patient. if you take a screen shot, or you are interrupted before committing the search, you have on-screen text appearing next to the photo and field label "Patient" that does *not* relate to the current patient.

Also, the current patient is not necessarily a patient. It may be a member of the praxis staff (since even these, without ever having been a patient, are required to be in the database).

Also, after accepting the name of a patient in a search result, the search text is replaced by the currently-active identity of the patient. There is some benefit to this, however the user then loses how they searched for this person, which has value when: 1) they may need to stay aware of a relevant alias for example on a hospital or test result 2) in case this was not the patient they wanted, would make it easier to revise the previous search 3) maybe has education value - supervisor or colleague could observe by looking on screen that the search was inefficient

Proposal:
- change the text next to the search box to be "Search"
- change what was previously "Patient" to be "Found" (since it may be a member of office staff) - display the currently active identity of the found person next to "Found" in a type that is larger / bolder or otherwise has more emphasis than the search text (sorry I was not able to achieve this in the screenshot mockup) - change the onFocus behaviour of the search text box to select-all instead of cursor insertion, if it is agreed that users will more often search for a new patient than edit/correct a previous search - when no match was found, it requires two steps to search again... one to dismiss the dialog that gives you no choice except to be taken to the "New Patient" wizard, and another to cancel out of the "New Patient" wizard. Can that first dialog be modified to offer a second button -- even if it is not the default -- that says "Go back" or "Search again", and in place of "New Wizard" to say "Register new person" since that is, in fact, the window bar label in that next wizard?

PNG image