[Gnumed-devel] linked improvement requests: "Register new person" widget

From: James Busser
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] linked improvement requests: "Register new person" widget and Patient details plugin
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2008 19:33:52 -0800

Maybe the answer to this request is that it will become apparent enough to users after they have been using the program, especially if they enter an address and phone number into the "Register new person" widget.

If this would be the answer, to the problem below, can I suggest that:

1) "Register new person" be expanded to hold the four External_ID fields to support one non-mandatory external ID as part of the new patient creation, often that is key to identifying the patient so I would insert those 4 fields below Title, after which the phone number is often more vital than the address... maybe the widget could be made wider and the address info moved to the right side as a second column. If it is visually unattractive to widen it, maybe we can get by with just 2 external_id fields (ID Type, Value) because the issuer may be able to be known from the ID type.

2) If we are going to include Occupation in the ""Register new person" widget, I suggest we also provide it in the Edit name field. Also harmonize the sequence (field order) of columns (which interestingly are Title, Lastname, Firstname) vs the edit widget, also the naming of these columns "Preferred name" vs "Nickname". The date of birth does not show in the columns (may as well put Gender in there too until we display in the top area).

3) In case the user already knows they must go from the "Register new person" widget to enter (for example) more phone numbers, the current Finish button would permit the user to stay inside whatever plugin they are "in" but if the widget is wider, it could support an additional button "More..." which would jump them into the "Patient details" plugin. The current default behaviour on creating a new patient seems to be the same as set via the GNUmed menu > Options > User interface > Patient search > Initial plugin. Maybe the "More..." button would not work if it would just be overridden by the Initial plugin setting.

At present, when user creates a patient and would go to Patient Details, there is no data in the bottom half of the window (external ids) making unclear the purpose of the lower half of the screen. Hovering over the Add button simply says "Add a new item to the list." The same is true for the upper button.

Is there some way in this screen to communicate that the upper part is to hold names and/or aliases, and the lower part is to hold account and/or identity numbers?

The same is true to an extent in Contacts where the upper portion is for addresses and the lower portion is for "communication channels".

If these areas, when absent any records, would still display their full column headings, maybe it would be self-explanatory. But on Mac, the column widths are not even one character wide, or do not even show at all... is it so under Linux? (see Mac screenshot)

PNG image