Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: Lab importing Re: Bootstrap of (test) lab data

From: James Busser
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: Lab importing Re: Bootstrap of (test) lab data
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2008 07:35:13 -0800

On 22-Jan-08, at 3:49 AM, Dave Cramer wrote:

Excuse me if this is a really naive question, but won't the hl7 data be different for every lab ?

Here's the overview of lab data in BC... we have

- no public "outpatient" laboratories, only private
- private labs have shaken down (95-100% as a guess) to 2 private labs each with dozens of branches, and who formed an arm's length joint venture which is the data broker - this broker is in many cases also brokering hospital data... hospitals in some cases servicing their community's outpatients

It is true that there exist some small hospitals who have done their own local brokerage.