Re: [Gnumed-devel] Phrasewheel limitations

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Phrasewheel limitations
Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2008 01:06:29 +0100

On Fri, Jan 25, 2008 at 03:45:45PM -0800, James Busser wrote:

> Maybe not surprisingly, an episode that I named with a single character
> was not included in the dropdown list when inside the Import document
> widget's
>
>       Associate to episode
>
> field.
>
> While it could be possible to place a constraint to require at least 2
> characters in the episode name (this seems to assure appearance in the
> dropdown),
Yes, matching starts at two characters minimum (configurable
[hardcoded], however).

> perhaps that would aggravate people who would set up some
> system to allow single-character-named episodes to organize or hold
> something.
Well, there are about 65 000 likely single-value episodes
(number of unicode code points). Any system using more than,
say, 100 such episodes seems to me a gross abuse of the
episodes. I wonder whether those in quest of such folly
deserve the end of the road they are heading down ? :-)

Also, the dropdown really should display single-character
episodes, too, when pressing Cursor-Down or typing "*" into
an empty phrasewheel.

> Maybe for now leave it... I have simply appended the observation to the
> wiki under
>
>       GnumedGuiElements
That's useful in any case, thanks.