Re: [Gnumed-devel] GNUmed (debian) servers and security

From: James Busser
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] GNUmed (debian) servers and security
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2008 18:56:36 -0800

On 28-Jan-08, at 8:24 AM, Dave Cramer wrote:

That being said, I'd simply use a dedicated network connection between the two machines that could not be sniffed.

Connecting from a remote private machine *over which you have control* can be done using a ($$$) dedicated network connection, or a VPN like openVPN.

Connecting from a remote machine *over which you have less (or no) control* is the problem.

Many doctors have a need to connect to their EMR from inside the hospital. Even the doctors who let others look after their patients when in hospital, in many cases, still visit the patients at least in special cases or may be at the hospital for other reasons. It would not be unusual for at least some GPs to spend 30 or more minutes per day at a hospital at least a couple of times per week (in some cases they might spend a full morning or afternoon) and the inability to connect to their EMR from inside the hospital is not going to be acceptable.

Some hospitals might soon provide enough wireless access that a doctor with their own laptop might be able to set up a VPN, but the majority I am sure will find ports and VPNs blocked. So I think that doctors who could have a copy of GNUmed on a hospital machine (or USB stick) still have to be able to connect via ports 80 or 443 without a VPN.

For the purpose of a doctor accessing a single patient (or small number of patients' EMR) it is acceptable to let the hospital proxy decrypt and re-encrypt the doctor's SSL traffic to their GNUmed EMR.

I think it is important to prevent man-in-the-middle attacks on the connection between the hospital and the GNUmed server so unless the hospital offered some tunnel to this server then the SSL would be needed unless people figure some other way for a secure connection