[Gnumed-devel] Re: Possible problem with schema table Clin.Test_type

From: James Busser
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] Re: Possible problem with schema table Clin.Test_type
Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2008 22:54:15 -0800

On 6-Feb-08, at 10:35 PM, James Busser wrote:

Also, there is a field fk_test_org which is a foreign key to the primary key clin.test_org.pk which is the organization providing results. Presently, this too is defined as unique. Maybe the intention was

        (fk_test_org + coding_system + code) UNIQUE

... unless there is some other purpose served that I am missing?

Maybe the purpose was to allow the table

        clin.test_result

to hold, in one field

        fk_type

a foreign key to a row in Clin.Test_Type that informs *both* the organization (lab) that carried out the test AND the particular test.

If this schema is maintained, it would mean that where GNUmed is being fed by "n" number of different labs, we will: - incur n-fold numbers of extra rows in the table Clin.Test_Type (maybe n x 100 tests? I am not sure how many test types one would end up storing) - avoid having to have a value for fk_test_org in every row in clin.test_result

Would this mean that before an importer could import a result, it would have to test whether each instance of a lab's test code (and coding system) already exists in the GNUmed table and, if it did not already exist, to create this row in Clin.Test_Type before continuing to import the data

... and also that if it was a new lab that was contributing this result, the data could not be imported until after the lab organization had been created in GNUmed? In other words, in addition to the automatching that will need to be done to assure that received data can be correctly attached to a *patient*, there must be automatching done to assure that the lab organization that is providing the result is also matched to an existing value in GNUmed?