Re: [Gnumed-devel] Australian development of Open Source Practice Manage

From: richard terry
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Australian development of Open Source Practice Management Software
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2008 14:17:44 +1100

Having been involved with gnumed for a number of years, and probably one of
the few people still keeping up with it in Australia,  and I think sadly it
is unlikely that gnuMed will ever reach a stage of being usable in Australia
for many reasons which I won't elaborate about here. Nothing short of a
complete working solution which offered massively significant advantages over
the current crop of offerings, would stand a chance of acceptance, even if
one could get on top of the legal/iso standards issues.

Before reading this understand I have no animosity towards the project,
correspond on and off with Karsten and some other list members,  and wish the
project well, and still help where I can with ideas/comments etc, and
hopefully will be doing some hl7 work with them in the near future..

Anything written for Australia has to have proper prescribing/drug reference,
all the necessary forms/care planning/hl7 etc, for what has become a complex
environment in GP Land.

The only decent gui/workflow that I've ever seen is Profile, but then it has
so many other problems that very few people use it, company support is
unfortunatley poor as they concentrate on Canada, though the individuals
within the company I've encountered have been very friendly and helpful
individuals.

I think there have been some attempts to produce something australia, either
desktop/web based, with little success that I know of, time often being the
problem along with lack of basic team structure. Ian Hayood on the gpcg list
could enlighten you on that.

Of course, if you program in basic, and want to help me write a desktop
project for Linux, then perhaps give me a ring.....  I'm curently trying to
resurrect my basic skills (not having programmed in it for > 10 years), to
write some little apps for work here, in the linux env of course.

Ring me if interested in a chat, I'm in Newcastle wk is 02 49436511 and you
could ring me at home one evening.

Regards

Richard.