Re: [Gnumed-devel] state of test results handling

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] state of test results handling
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 10:43:13 +0200

On Sun, Mar 30, 2008 at 02:52:23PM -0700, James Busser wrote:

> However as to what it *means* I suspect it means those labs have been
> reviewed (signed).
Or rather those that need the action of signing.

> I am still not sure what would be most useful, for
> most people, regarding how result "metadata" is best incorporated...
>
>       ... lab-returned designators or flags (like abnormal)
>       ... lab-returned additional data (like comments)
>       ... gnumed-side metadata (technically-abnormal, clinically significant,
> who signed, target range)

I believe I want to see what I last thought about a result
(normality, relevance). In absence of my thoughts I would
like to see what the intended reviewer thought (normality,
relevance). In absence of which I'd like to see what the lab
said (only normality available, relevance only communicated
textually in a note if at all).

So, in principle, there's two items to communicate:
normality and relevance. Normality by presence or absence
of an indicator. Relevance by visual in-your-face.

And there's a third item: review *status*. If there's no
review at all yet I want to know, too. Hence the signing
hand to tell me "sign this".

Lastly, I want to be informed whether the display result
*value* is the whole truth or just a sampling of the first
couple characters (in, say, textual results). This is now
done by your following suggestion:

> Are ellipses (the cluster of 3 periods …) both international and
> multilingual, in terms of communicating that "more follows" ?
They are indeed.

> Would this be too visually small, or subtle, to incorporate?
I don't think so.

To actually see all the nitty-gritty details about a
particular result one always needs to look at the tooltip.