Re: [Gnumed-devel] missing dependencies in gnumed 0.2.8.6 packages

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] missing dependencies in gnumed 0.2.8.6 packages
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2008 13:44:12 +0200

On Tue, Apr 22, 2008 at 01:17:50PM +0200, Florian Hubold wrote:

> Well, then they should be added as Suggests:
True enough. I suppose Sebastian will see to it.

> which can be used as "weak" Requires. In distros where package
> management is available, this should be applied in one way or another.
Debian does it full force.

> I just wondered because in earlier versions these dependecies existed.
Yep, we added code over time to handle missing dependancies
more gracefully.

> In my tests when trying to write a letter with openoffice,
> nothing happenend (no error)
Which version was that ? In the current code all it does is
trying to import "uno" which should fail with an ImportError
exception which should trigger this message:

                        aMessage = _(
                                'GNUmed detected that parts of it are not\n'
                                'properly insalled. The following message\n'
                                'names the missing part:\n'
                                '\n'
                                ' "%s"\n'
                                '\n'
                                'Please make sure to get the missing\n'
                                'parts installed. Otherwise some of the\n'
                                'functionality will not be accessible.'
                        ) % v

Support for this was added:

        # Revision 1.66  2007/09/03 11:03:20  ncq
        # - teach top level wx exception handler about ImportError

IOW, quite some time ago. If it still doesn't work as
expected I'd surely like to know.

> The xsane stuff i only added because i read on this list that problems
> can occur in some cases when xsane is not installed.
XSane is one of the things we only recently added
better/more robust code to protect against it not being
installed. One problem can still occur even with it being
installed: if xsane has never been run for a particular user
there will not be any config file for that user. GNUmed,
however, needs that config file because it manipulates it
before calling XSane. However, this failure now triggers the
above message, too.

> And xmedcon because it was required for earlier versions.
We made this optional, too, now. We even disable the menu
option if none of the DICOM viewers are found. We look for
Osirix, Aeskulap, Amide, and xmedcon in that order.