Re: [Gnumed-devel] GNUmed database version and server-client clock misma

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] GNUmed database version and server-client clock mismatches from CVSHEAD
Date: Fri, 9 May 2008 12:07:05 +0200

On Thu, May 08, 2008 at 02:49:22PM -0700, James Busser wrote:

> I downloaded (anonymous checkout) from CVS.
>
> Although I seem to have run into separate problems relating to the file
> .cvspass and my Macintosh (see next email)
It seemed to have worked just fine.

> perhaps there is also some
> database version incompatibility that affects the HEAD code?
That message is to be expected. Unreleased database versions
such as in HEAD are a moving target and thereby not stable.
As they don't have a stable database checksum they'll nearly
always provoke that warning. That's the main reason for the
--override-schema-check command line option, too, which
should be *OFF* in production.

Regarding the time mismatch the reasoning is this:

To reliably store a medical record both client and server
should agree about current time to a certain degree
(hardcoded to within 30 seconds to allow for some jitter).
This is checked at client startup. GNUmed refuses to connect
to a server with a larger time offset. Since the public db
server syncs to NTP servers on the internet it keeps nearly
perfect time. So this suggests the clock on your client may
be off by some amount ?  There's more information on this in
the log file (such as the actual time diff etc). Note that
the code does try to adjust for wire roundtrip times. It
also accounts for time zone differences. I am interested in
a relevant log.