[Gnumed-devel] Patient sex (gender) and the pros and cons of a single va

From: James Busser
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] Patient sex (gender) and the pros and cons of a single value per patient
Date: Mon, 12 May 2008 09:17:35 -0700

I just realized that we cannot store, with a patient's previous name, the value of their sex/gender *at that time*, which may not be the same as their current sex/gender and also, that in the case of multiple names, it cannot be deduced from the current (active) name which of the other ones were used before vs after any gender re- assignment.

Possibly it is OK that we only have a single sex/gender value... the symbolic form shown next to the combo name / search field may be enough to signal to a user that some caution may be required.

PNG image