Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: Understanding code maintenance

From: James Busser
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: Understanding code maintenance
Date: Thu, 15 May 2008 07:43:38 -0700

On 1-Feb-08, at 4:19 PM, Karsten Hilbert wrote:

Do commits into the "main trunk" (or "head" ?) happen at multiple
points, even in between official releases and maybe even with just
bug fixes?
No. They always happen upwards of the current official release before what will become the branch root for the next official release.

Is "main trunk" same as HEAD?

When one does checkins, one specifies a directory where the checkin is to go, i.e. into any one particular branch, or into HEAD, or into a personal area?

When one supplies a patch for a bug fix, one still has to checkin, and then commit, but it would be customary to commit right away if there is confidence in the patch, so that the availability of the fix is not delayed?

When one checks new code into HEAD, does it get committed at intervals, in between branch points, or is it only ever committed as part of the act of getting tagged and a new branch point created and therefore a release producible?

When something is checked-in (say, to HEAD), but not yet committed, then when (for example) I would do anonymous checkout from cvs --- and when I would then run ./gm-from-cvs.sh --- would I by default only be running the committed-code, or would this shell run any checked-in code as well, if there is any value in my testing what had been checked in?