[Gnumed-devel] Re: feature request: support document permalink URLs

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] Re: feature request: support document permalink URLs
Date: Thu, 29 May 2008 19:12:01 +0200

On Tue, Jan 22, 2008 at 01:49:15PM +0100, Karsten Hilbert wrote:

> > 2) if the local, regional or national medical system supports local storage
> > of a pointer to the image, the ability to save and manage this could make
> > it much easier to later re-access the same image. This could be implemented
> > as an extra field in the "Document" and "Import Documents" notebook tabs as
> > soon as any host imaging systems would provide and handle permalinks.

On second thought we already have support for capturing and
displaying permalinks:

        blobs.doc_med.ext_ref

This stores an arbitrary value intended to uniquely
reference the "original" from which the document was
obtained. In the case of permalink URLs those can be stored
here, of course.

I added a document context menu item "Access external
original" and a few lines of code et voila:

When the item is invoked the shell script
"gm_access_external_doc.sh" (.bat) is run. The document type
and the external reference value are passed to it so it can
figure out what to do. A hook "before_external_doc_access"
is fired, too, for more customization.

That was easy :-)