Re: [Gnumed-devel] Progress note SOAP widget

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Progress note SOAP widget
Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2008 22:21:47 +0200

On Wed, Jan 16, 2008 at 09:56:11AM -0800, James Busser wrote:

> A patient who is new (and sometimes if already existing) can present
> with more than one (new) issue to be managed. Presently, when entering
> into the Progress note widget, a "new episode" appears by default which
> seems to give no added function to the button "New".
>
> If an already-existing (i.e. previously saved) issue or episode is
> double-clicked, it becomes added to the threads in the SOAP editor and
> becomes the default, this seems to me desirable.
>
> If the user then clicks "New" however, no additional new as-yet unnamed
> episode is created, instead the user is taken into the default as-yet
> unsaved and unnamed episode. Among the SOAP threads, the default, as-yet
> unnamed episode is the only one that can be brought into focus in this
> manner... the others can be brought into focus by clicking on
>
> - what should we call this at upper right... their "SOAP thread header
> button"? (screenshot attached)
> - (or) on the health issue, or episode, among the left Active Problems
>
> Questions about SOAP widget:
> - can it be easily managed to support multiple (at least 3?) new, as-yet
> unnamed and unsaved episodes whose (until saved) header buttons I would
> suggest be "new episode 1", "new episode 2", "new episode 3"
>
> - can the action of clicking the "New" button be changed to create a
> new, as-yet unnamed and unsaved episode thread and button
Done, except for the numbering of episodes.

Whether this is allowed or not can be toggled by means of a
config option now.

Does anyone think there's a sensible use case for being able
to open several editors for one and the same *existing*
episode concurrently ? I'd say this is only useful for new
episodes but I may be wrong ...

> - to make accessibility and behaviour of these new items the same as
> previously-created and saved, should they be saved immediately and be
> shown in the left Active Problems list as
>       episode "new episode 1" etc
I don't think so.

The left shows what already exists in the medical record
(and it listens to what is being added elsewhere ;-) while
the right shows what is intended to be added to the record.

> - if an undesired item was inadvertently double-clicked at left, is
> there any way to remove it from the SOAP widget at right or must one
> just ignore it, and if ignored does it make an entry in the chart?

Empty editors are ignored on save in any case, regardless of
new or not. I did, however, add a Discard button which
re-confirms if the editor to be discarded isn't empty.